Enter Midway Journal’s -1000 Below: Flash Prose and Poetry Contest, for a chance to win the $500 grand prize, $250 second prize, or $50 third prize! See contest guidelines below.
Paste the title of your submission and your contact information (name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, and genre of submission) in the cover letter box. Your name and contact information must not appear anywhere on the manuscript you upload.
You may submit unlimited entries, but a new entry fee must be paid for each new submission. Previously published work will not be accepted. Simultaneous submissions are permitted, but must be withdrawn from the contest if accepted elsewhere.
Poetry: up to 2 poems per entry. Not more than one poem per page. Maximum of 40 words per poem. (Any style/format)
Prose (Fiction and Nonfiction): 1 piece per entry, up to 1,000 words.
- Please send 3-5 poems / no more than 10 pages in a single document.
- No previously published work.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, if you notify us if these are accepted elsewhere. Poetry has a fairly fast turnaround, so please be respectful of this request. If you need to withdraw a single poem from a group, please add a note via the Submittable system, rather than send an email, as these can get lost in the shuffle.
- Please submit no more than once per reading period, unless invited to do so otherwise.
- Cover letter is not required, though welcome.
There are no page limits or word counts set for individual submissions. Simultaneous submissions accepted. Previously published work is not accepted. Please send 1 piece of fiction or 2 pieces of flash, or sudden, fiction during open submission period. Manuscripts should be 12 point font and double-spaced.
Essay, Creative Nonfiction
Please send one essay or up to two flash nonfiction pieces at a time.